SQL ERROR: Database error only visible to forum administrators
VERY loose steering on 1991 Audi V8 - www.AudiV8.com - Audi V8 Forum / Audi A8 Forum
Das neue Audi V8 Forum findest Du hier!
www.v8forum.de

SQL ERROR: Database error only visible to forum administrators
English >> Audi V8 Forum

b.

Reged: 07/01/2008
VERY loose steering on 1991 Audi V8
      07/01/2008 19:58

Howdy, I'm new!
So here's the situation

Specs:
1991 Audi V8 Quattro
Automatic tranny
3.6 Liter V8
140,000 Kms (maybe)

Symptoms:
-Steering has a lot of play on it. You can completely turn the steering wheel almost once in either direction before the front wheels even start to move.
-When you turn the steering it makes clunking sounds.

Possible cause:
I found a page on the web that talked about this exact problem being the steering rack assembly mounts being broken on the frame. The solution was to remove the steering rack, weld up and reinforce the frame, and put the rack back on.

Troubleshooting:
So I had a look at the steering rack from the engine compartment on my car, while I had someone move the steering wheel back and forth. The rack is visible if you look behind the engine, close to the firewall, where the steering column output comes out from.

Sure enough, the whole rack moves side to side - it shouldn't move at all.

Looking in from the drivers side front wheel well, I can see the metal part where the rack is supposed to attach to the frame of the car, it's completely broken off.

Solution:
I have a Miller 135 MIG welder and I'm thinking of just welding up the metal, and adding a plate on top to reinforce.
I'm going to try and do it without removing the rack, but we'll see. I don't want to damage it.

I'll try to post up some photos of the problem before and after I fix it (IF I can do it!).

HELP!:
I'm just curious if anyone else has had this problem? Any tips you can give me before I try it? Are there any sensitive electronic components in that area that I should be aware of? I don't want to fry them with the MIG welder's Arc. I will be disconnecting and removing the car's battery.

If you have loose steering, you might want to check out your steering rack mounts!

thanks!

1991 Audi V8 Quattro 3.6L Automatic

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* VERY loose steering on 1991 Audi V8 black scorpion 07/01/2008 19:58
. * Re: VERY loose steering on 1991 Audi V8 Peter Kreibich   07/01/2008 20:11

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 3328

Rate this thread
Jump to

Contact Webmaster AudiV8.com

UBB.threads™ 6.1

Generated in 0.039 seconds in which 0.037 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.