SQL ERROR: Database error only visible to forum administrators
Re: Oil chang for the automatic gearbox - www.AudiV8.com - Audi V8 Forum / Audi A8 Forum
Das neue Audi V8 Forum findest Du hier!
www.v8forum.de

SQL ERROR: Database error only visible to forum administrators
English >> Audi V8 Forum

J.
ZOOM
Reged: 14/05/2003
Loc: Portland, Oregon (USA)
Re: Oil chang for the automatic gearbox [re: sören Andersen]
      04/10/2005 04:22

Hello Sĝren,

I looked through my old emails to find the answer to your questions, and found this information from my friend Corbam.

I hope it helps.

Regards,

- Jeremy
----------------------

#1, replace fluid with a good synthetic, MobilOne Synthetic ATF (about $5 a quart) is one of the best.

If you don't have a dipstick, it's available from the dealer, was about
$17 the
last time I bought one.

Since you've never done it before, it might be a good idea to
change/check the filter. To get the pan off you'll have to remove the
crossover pipe for the exhaust, have some bungee cords handy to hang the crossover so that you don't have to disconnect the O2 sensor. Don't mix up the exhaust doughnuts, they're two different sizes. By draining the pan you'll only get about 3 quarts of fluid out, some people like to fill/drain several times until the mixture thins out to a high percentage of new fluid.

First time I changed mine the filter was spotless so I don't change the filter with the fluid every time (IF the old fluid is clean.) I change the fluid by removing the two transmission cooler lines that go into the radiator, it takes a 10mm socket (sometimes Allen head), extension and universal to get these off, a 13mm for the long bolt that holds the lines at the compressor.
You might want to have some O rings handy if you want to change them, I've reused them several times with no leaks, just clean hole in radiator well and grease them a little. Also a Hex driver for the trans. pan.

With the lines out of the radiator and hanging down into a bucket with the dipstick open, have a 2nd person start the car. The fluid will pump right out into the bucket in less than 30 seconds. As soon as the stream of old fluid stops (usually get a little sputter) turn the car off. You will want to make sure you shut it right down as soon as the flow stops.
Then remove the plug from the trans. pan (drains about 2 qt.) and let the lines hang low until the fluid stops siphoning out (about a half hour.) Put everything back, fill with about 7 quarts, start it up and cycle through the gears, you can check the dipstick after the trannie is up to operating temperature (if the engine oil temp is up to normal, it's a safe bet the trannie fluid is too.)

It will usually take 8 quarts to fill using this procedure.

Although I've never used a commercial flushing machine on the V8Q, based on the fluid pressure I've observed, IF you have the correct connections it looks like a flushing/filling machine would work well. The flush machines I've seen use the trans. pressure to force out the old fluid while pumping in the new, usually with a view glass to gauge the old fluids clarity. There are many cars (Toyota is one) that do not work well at all with flush machines, but the V8Q might be a good candidate.

BCNU,
http://www.geocities.com/cobramsri/

1990 V8Q Zyclam
Portland, Oregon (USA)
http://www.MyV8Q.com/
Fun, Fun, Fun auf der Autobahn

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Oil chang for the automatic gearbox sören Andersen 03/10/2005 13:21
. * Re: Oil chang for the automatic gearbox Thomas Ka.   05/10/2005 08:30
. * Re: Oil chang for the automatic gearbox Jeremy Ward   04/10/2005 04:22
. * Re: Oil chang for the automatic gearbox sören Andersen   04/10/2005 21:15

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 4661

Rate this thread
Jump to

Contact Webmaster AudiV8.com

UBB.threads™ 6.1

Generated in 0.032 seconds in which 0.03 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.