SQL ERROR: Database error only visible to forum administrators
Re: Won't start when engine warmed up - www.AudiV8.com - Audi V8 Forum / Audi A8 Forum
Das neue Audi V8 Forum findest Du hier!
www.v8forum.de

SQL ERROR: Database error only visible to forum administrators
English >> Audi V8 Forum

J.
ZOOM
Reged: 14/05/2003
Loc: Portland, Oregon (USA)
Re: Won't start when engine warmed up [re: Mark]
      13/10/2004 06:23

I agree with Ruedi; crank position sensor. There are two sensors that are culprit. I have cut and pasted some info you might find usefull:

"If the speed sensor should fail while the engine is running then the engine will stop. If you crank the engine you will also notice the the tach will not bounce while the engine is cranking (Dead speed sensor).

For peace of mind change both sensors together. Both sensors are held in place with a bracket and offset. The one more toward the engine is the crank position sensor and the one closer toward the transmission is the speed sensor." - Bob Moy

"timing reference sensor. Next time, take a funnel and pour some cool water up against the block between the headers of the 3rd/4th driver's side cylinders. If it starts right up, there's yer problem." - Dave Head

"The black one is 077 905 381, ignition timing sender. The gray one is 077
905 381A, engine speed sensor. They are identical except for the color of the plastic on the connector and at the sensor head. Reportedly, the black one is NLA. I couldn't find one a year or so ago when I replaced mine. So I installed two of the gray ones and put black electrical tape on the one that went to the black connector in the wiring harness. They're such a PITA to get to, I figured I should change both if I was going to change one.

No idea whether either fits the symptoms you describe. One causes the engine to be hard to restart when hot (the one I wanted to change first) and the other causes the tach to drop to zero, which I guess would indicate a dying engine, eh?" - Kneale Brownson

Good luck Mark!

Regards,

- Jeremy

1990 V8Q Zyclam
Portland, Oregon (USA)
http://www.MyV8Q.com/
Fun, Fun, Fun auf der Autobahn

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Won't start when engine warmed up Mark 12/10/2004 00:55
. * Re: Won't start when engine warmed up Anonymous   14/10/2004 04:33
. * Re: Won't start when engine warmed up Anonymous   20/10/2004 22:41
. * Re: Won't start when engine warmed up Jeremy Ward   13/10/2004 06:23
. * Re: Won't start when engine warmed up Mark   14/10/2004 01:05
. * Re: Won't start when engine warmed up Ruedi Seiler   12/10/2004 07:14

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 10389

Rate this thread
Jump to

Contact Webmaster AudiV8.com

UBB.threads™ 6.1

Generated in 0.04 seconds in which 0.036 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.