Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
munir b
ZOOM
Reged: 26/12/2007
Loc: Najran,Saudi Arabia
thermostat
      05/12/2009 12:48

hi,
can anyone tell me how to replace thermostat on ABH.plz step by step. i have ElsaWin 3.3 and ETKA 7. i have the only V8 in saudi arabia.no mechanic and parts are difficult to get from audi S-AUDI arabia.is there anyway to check the water pump without removing it?thanks a lot

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Florian W.
ZOOM
Reged: 28/06/2006
Loc: 91052 Erlangen, nähe Fürth, Nürnberg
Re: thermostat new [re: munir b]
      06/12/2009 17:15

Hello there, if you will change the thermostat look between both timing belt covers below control valve, but bevor you try to change the thermostat you should drain your cooling liquid from the radiator and the engine.!! But look to the position of installation !!! If you will change the water pump remove the left cover from the timing belt and than you can look inside the housing. So now you need a flashlight, or maybe not?? And try to turn the pully on the right below the big cog from the camshaft (grey iron pully without any gearing). normally you can turn the pully.! But take care and don´t change the positin from the timing belt.!!!

De gustibus non est disputandum.!!!

munir b
ZOOM
Re: thermostat new [re: Florian W.]
      07/12/2009 09:18

Thanks Florin!i will change thermostat only but i am not sure about steps.plz correct me if i am wrong:
1.draining of coolant
2.removal of return hose pipe from radiator and engine
3.Open supporting clip for bottom coolant hose and take off top part.
4.Unscrew hose at thermostat housing.
5.Removal of thermostat housing by removing two bolts.
6.replacing thermostat and re installation in reverse order.

here i have two questions:
1.can i use AcDelco coolant rather than G11?
2.what is the type of bolts at thermostat housing, will i need any special tool to remove these?

Tim A.
ZOOM
Reged: 05/08/2003
Loc: Schleswig Holstein
      07/12/2009 12:43

Hi Munir,
look here for some (fuzzy) pictures: http://www.audiv8.com/german/faq/faq_show.php?id=150

I try to translate the instructions picture-wise. All advises (RH and LH) in driving direction!

1st. pic:
Drain the coolant at the lower side of the radiator meanwhile the coolant reservoir cap is opened.
Withdraw the upper coolant hose on the RH cylinder-block between the timing belt covers, as shown in the picture.

Then withdraw the lower hose. The thermostat is fitted behind it´s cap.

2nd pic:
Screw out the two cap bolts. Therefor a TX 30 Torx wrench is required. Manipulate the old thermostat out of it´s housing.
Clean all seal faces.

3rd pic:
Fit in the new thermostat. The small vent valve (as shown in pic 3) must be bound upward.
Reinstall the thermostat-cap by using a new seal. Tighten the bolts with 10Nm.

Forget about pic 4 and reinstall the two coolant hoses.

Filling and bleeding (not shown in any picture):
Switch ignition on. Engage the AC to HI-level. Turn ignition off.

Fill up the coolant (total 8,5 liters) 50 :50 with G11 or another coolant in the same color (green, blue or red) your system was filled with.
During filling procedure, compress the upper coolant hose a multiple times to support deaeration of the cooling system.
Close the cap of the coolant reservoir as it is full.
Start the engine (AC still HI) and keep it idling with increased revolution level (2000-3000 rpm). You may exceed 4000-5000 rpm for short moments, even to support bleeding.

After engine has reached about 100°C stop engine, wait for 5 to 10 minutes and open coolant reservoir cap CAREFULLY (pressure).

Top up coolant to max and close cap. Start engine for another while and add coolant if necessary.

That´s it.

Beste Grüße
Tim

Eric Nap
ZOOM
Reged: 19/07/2006
Loc: Porto/Portugal
      07/12/2009 12:45

Hello Munir,

With respect to the two bolts/screws that hold the thermostat housing, you must be careful loosening them. At least two members made the experience recently, that (part of) the thread came out as well! Maybe this was due to too much tightening during an earlier thermostat change, but anyway, be careful.

Good luck, Eric

munir b
ZOOM
Re: thermostat new [re: Tim A.]
      07/12/2009 14:16

Thanks Tim for your illustrative guidance. i ll try on coming weekend.and post the outcome

munir b
ZOOM
Re: thermostat new [re: Eric Nap]
      07/12/2009 14:22

Thank you Nap, i think i ll be careful.

munir b
ZOOM
      09/12/2009 08:45

Hi Tim, what may happen if i remove the thermostat without fitting a new one coz the area i live the temperature never comes down below 10 C and most of the day time even in January it stays above 20? so i use heater occasionally. Summer time when A/C z working all time there is always fear of overheating with oldies like mine .1992 4.2Q.

Tim A.
ZOOM
      09/12/2009 10:24

Hi Munir,
you must not drive without any thermostat has been fitted!
The engine will never reach it´s normal running temperature, even if it becomes not too cold in Saudi Arabia. Also in your county, driving without thermostat entails, that the engine, the coolant and the engine oil never get hot enough. The fuel consumption will increase significant (okay may be, this is the smallest problem in your region ;) ), because the mass of the injected fuel depends not only on the acceleration but on the coolant temperature. The ECU will always raise the fuel flow, as the engine temperature is low. And the worst is: Due to the increased mass of fuel injection, the wear inside the cylinders will increase rapidly. If you have really bad luck, piston(s) will be destroyed, because the excessive fuel will flush away the lubricant from the cylinder walls.
So you better try to get a new thermostat. May be, you order overseas?

Best regards

Beste Grüße
Tim

Edited by Tim A. (09/12/2009 10:26)

Tim A.
ZOOM
      09/12/2009 11:54

I have sent you a private message. Click the flashing button in the header of this site.

Best regards
Tim

Beste Grüße
Tim

munir b
ZOOM
      12/12/2009 12:50 Attachment (1692 downloads)

it was a surprise for me when i went to remove the thermostat (pic 1).it was already not there.before removing its housing i checked with a mirror (pic 2).the car is with me for 5 years.i left it with Audi service center in Jeddah for two times. once for replacement of burnt distributor(i still have) after probably over speeding 252km/h.may be at that time they mechanic may have removed it to keep the car cooled down.i imported it from japan Yanase company in 2005.it boils water after 5km and i keep the cap loose so that steam may escape. can it be due to improper ratio of coolant:water?i think there is more water than coolant

Tim A.
ZOOM
      12/12/2009 13:13

astonishing! Even in hot areas a thermostat should be fitted, to regulate the coolant temperature. Driving without thermostat may only be a compromise as the thermostat does not open (completely) so, that the engine overheats.

I don´t believe, that the (quick) boiling depends on the ratio of coolant fluid and water.
It rather might be a result of inadequate bleeding.
Another very bad reason for the coolant boiling could be a burnt cylinder head gasket.

Beste Grüße
Tim

munir b
ZOOM
      12/12/2009 14:03

thinking of worse! in case if head gasket is damaged there must be some mixing of oil visible in coolant in the form of floating oil bubbles.i have observed that mechanics in temperate areas tend to remove thermostat.there is no question of opening or closing of one coz it is not there as an obstruction to flow of water from engine to radiator.

Tim A.
ZOOM
      12/12/2009 14:42

oil bubbles will appear in the coolant as the gasket is burnt. Of course this can take a little time.

In your case, if believe in imperfectly bleeding.

It´s useless to remove a thermostat in hot areas, even if some mechanics do it. As the thermostat is working perfect, it will open due to it´s normal regulating temperatures. As the thermostat is full open, for the cooling system it is like that, that there is no thermostat fitted.
But the working temperature of the engine will be reached much later (or never), as no thermostat is fitted.

Beste Grüße
Tim

munir b
ZOOM
      13/12/2009 11:41

well how much time for bubbles to appear?i ve this problem for over 6 months.never went beyond 5km. luckily my work place and all utilities r within this area. if i need to go far i use a cab or call a friend. i totally agree with your opinion of fully opened thermostat is like there is none when engine is hot.there r water drops from exhaust in morning briefly after starting i think which is normal. i was just telling what people do.by the way is there any special way of bleeding the cooling system other than pinching of upper hose 2-3 time after fill up.presence of air in liquid is one of the commonest cause of poor flow.

Tim A.
ZOOM
      13/12/2009 14:37

it´s sad, having a car that´s only usable for short trips in the neighborhood.

Water drops in the exhaust gas (specially with cold engine) are normal.

Try bleeding with opened reservoir. Top up level and let the engine run with opened filler cap until it has reached it´s normal temperature (about 95°C). The heater of the passenger compartment should be turned to max heating position, but the blower must be turned off!
After bleeding there must not appear any more bubbles. But the coolant level may increase during acceleration and even slump during deceleration.

Beste Grüße
Tim

Bastian P.
ZOOM
Reged: 18/08/2002
Loc: Österreich (Graz)
      16/12/2009 11:42

Dear Munir,

welcome, you are first member from Saudi-Arabia! Please feel free to post a picture or two of your car, we'd are very curious about it

Thanks

Bastian

Das Buch zum Audi V8

Roy F
ZOOM
Reged: 06/05/2006
Loc: Schweiz
Re: thermostat new [re: Bastian Preindl]
      16/12/2009 13:53

Salaleikum

Gruess Roy
http://roy-fuchs.smugmug.com/

munir b
ZOOM
Re: thermostat new [re: Bastian Preindl]
      16/12/2009 13:59 Attachment (1678 downloads)

Thank you! i work in saudi arabia. actually i m from pakistan and a big fan of audi/vw.
i ve posted one picture.it was taken with cell phone camera so not very good resolution.i ll post more.i believe this is the only V8 in this country as told by Audi saudi arabia. they keep a record of all audis here. they take it from license and registration authority.

Bastian P.
ZOOM
Reged: 18/08/2002
Loc: Österreich (Graz)
      16/12/2009 14:51

Great!

I've heard of V8 running in Dubai recently, but haven't seen any when I was there last time.

Do you have any specific problems with sand, dust, salt or heat besides the described ones?

Is your V8 running in Saudi Arabia since the beginning or is it an imported car? Can you tell a bit about the interior (or provide another picture)?

Thank you very much!!

Bastian

Das Buch zum Audi V8

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 26339

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Webmaster AudiV8.com

UBB.threads™ 6.1

Generated in 0.04 seconds in which 0.037 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.