Pages: 1
Rubin T
ZOOM
Reged: 13/11/2006
Loc: Australia,Gold Coast
Brake Fluid Leak Help
      13/11/2006 17:00

Hello,

I have a 1990 Audi V8 2 days ago i noticed a leak on the drivers side under the car near gearbox i got so bad that the brake fluid was on the exhaust and burning has anyone had same problem??? If so easy fix or serious???

Edited by Rubin T (13/11/2006 17:01)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gatis jurkovskis
ZOOM
Reged: 30/09/2006
Loc: latvia
Re: Brake Fluid Leak Help new [re: Rubin T]
      13/11/2006 22:21

many have the same problem! But its not brake oil! It can be from steering wheel! Look at the colour at first!

Rubin T
ZOOM
Re: Brake Fluid Leak Help new [re: gatis jurkovskis]
      14/11/2006 14:54

I'm pretty sure its brake fluid colour is green and my brake light was flashing on my dash when the fluid was leaking out plus the power steering rack was done not long ago by previous owner

gatis jurkovskis
ZOOM
Reged: 30/09/2006
Loc: latvia
      14/11/2006 17:04

if its green its from steering wheel system!(this problem has almost on all audis) brake fluid DOT4 has no colour.

Herbert Mittermayer
ZOOM
Reged: 05/08/2004
Loc: Tulln, Österreich
      14/11/2006 18:43

Hello Rubin

I also had the wet gearbox. My mechanic found out, that it was the hydraulic pump, that leaked.

If the hydraulic pump doesn't work properly you have a red exclamation mark on your dashboard.

Regards
Herbert

Wenn ich jedesmal Nachdenken würde, bevor ich etwas sage, könnte ich gleich die Schnauze halten

Rubin T
ZOOM
Re: Brake Fluid Leak Help new [re: Herbert Mittermayer]
      15/11/2006 08:28

I just had a another look today seems to me it's Power Steering fluid not Brake fluid because the power steering resivour is emty is it's green in colour

Herbert Mittermayer yeah i do have that red exclamation mark dashboard and steering is so tight you cant turn it! I think i have same problem as you had Herbert is it cheap to fix the hydraulic pump??? Could i get my old one rebuilt???

Rubin T
ZOOM
Re: Brake Fluid Leak Help new [re: gatis jurkovskis]
      15/11/2006 08:44

gatis jurkovskis thanks man I got the problem now what it is o well what you expect it's a old car now

Herbert Mittermayer
ZOOM
      15/11/2006 10:42

Hello Rubin

In my case it wasn't cheap. My hydraulic pump had a broken case.

You can easily check the leak. When you demonatge the air filter, you canhave a look at the steering gear. When this is leaking you have the repair it. (I alos drive a right driven V8 and haven't seen a steering gear for the right models. Right and left driven models have different gears)

You can also have a look a the pump. It is located in front at the left side (near the AC) Follow the V-Belt, You can see a "triangle" this is the pump.

A friend of mine replaced his hydraulic pump with one out of a Audi 100. (righthand and lefthand are the same) Basically the same pump but it have different montage points.

Both steering rod and pump are expensive failure.Log working time and high spare part costs.

Check also the hydraulix pipes, maybe one of them is keaking.

Regards,
Herbert

Wenn ich jedesmal Nachdenken würde, bevor ich etwas sage, könnte ich gleich die Schnauze halten

Rubin T
ZOOM
Re: Brake Fluid Leak Help new [re: Herbert Mittermayer]
      15/11/2006 14:27

Hello Herbert,

I had a look at the leak just under the car it's leaking just near the gearbox but im hoping the hydraulic case on mine is not broken but the mechanic will have a good look at it on Monday then tell me what i need etc i dont know how this problem started but my guess it was leaking a bit few weeks ago but i did not take much notice.

Herbert Mittermayer
ZOOM
      15/11/2006 15:54

I hope for you that it is something small. A broken pipe or a seal.

I was at Audi, after I bought my V8. They told me my gearbox is leaking. In fact it was my hydraulic pump and throught driving the airflow pushed the hydraulic oil back to my gearbox.

Regards
Herbert

Rubin T
ZOOM
      26/12/2006 20:36

Just a update guys got it all fixed now :cool: The problem was not the power steering pump was the steering rack who ever rebuilt the power steering rack the washers and O rings did not do a real good job at it idiots had too pay heavy price for someone elses stuff ups :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Edited by Rubin T (26/12/2006 20:39)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Thread views: 8643

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Webmaster AudiV8.com

UBB.threads™ 6.1

Generated in 0.049 seconds in which 0.044 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.