Mark Hanman
()
03/12/2014 16:01
Re: 1993 Lago v8- hopefully a restoration

It's running, again.

I've been unbelievably busy these last 4 weeks; I'm off overseas for a while. Again! As usual, these things coincide with progress being made.

Anyways.
After much faffing around, finding wiring damage everywhere, the engine runs, and it gets up to temperature. So I'm nearly back to where I was when it got botched!

I found wiring damage in the starter solenoid, injector, fuel pump and ECU power circuits. Mostly down to really bad installations of both the alarm and immobilizer systems.
Fixing sounds easier than it really is. Many of the spliced joints had corroded badly, so high resistance connections abound.
Getting the diagnostics working took time, which slowed down testing everything else. So far, only the ECU diagnostics have been run. Transmission, instruments and aircon next.

The ECU is faulty. I'm running the spare unit for now.

The aircon does everything except run the internal fan, so I've isolated the electrics, to avoid any surprises.

The shiftlok has decided to play up, so the ignition key won't come out, and the ignition lock is sticking. Care is needed, as I think it is keeping the starter engaged sometimes.

Interior wise, the carpet's toast. Or, more precisely, mushroom porridge. The prolonged damp means it's rotting.

Throttle
This was a problem when I bought the car. At the time, it seemed that it was an intermittent high idle, and several stabilization valves were tried; in fact it was a very sticky throttle assembly. Basically, it wasn't closing fully all the time. Now, it almost closes on its own, but I'll have to work on it a bit more to get it working right.

Contact Webmaster AudiV8.com

UBB.threads™ 6.1

Generated in 0.001 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Zlib compression enabled.